Friday, May 14, 2010

Conditional Layouts

I didn't know about conditonal layouts until somebody asked me about it. I was not able to answer him and that was frustrating.
I know we work in technology field and there is every possibility that your work may not match with others work even if you both are working in say Cognos. Your insights and knowledge may be different from others who work in Cognos.
I wanted to know about conditional layouts but didn't find anything on net. I had to dig in report studio itself and find what it is.
When I came to know what it is , first word I uttered was "ABSURD !!!" .This is nothing but rendering !!!!  We do more complex things and sometime we miss simple and easy things ,it also depends upon what kind of requirements your clients is presenting.If you keep working in XYZ area in Cognos , even if you have 10 years of experince you won't be able to answer the questions related to ABC area asked by 1 year experienced person in ABC.
But thats what I also like about technology ,everybody is having something to teach other person !!!!!
So now come back to Conditional layouts. These are the report layouts based on some condition.
For example client may run report in HTML or Excel or PDF. But if client doesn't want to include some columns in PDF version and add few more column in Excel version that what would you do ???  This is where conditional layouts are used.
Thanks
Vishwas

No comments:

Post a Comment